But my mom says I'm 'special'...

The typical..or maybe not-so-typical rantings and musings of just an ordinary girl

Friday, July 08, 2005

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Sorry folks...you better have time if you want to read this one cause its long...I"m making up for not having a computer attached to my side for two weeks)

Well, I've been at camp for almost a week now...and like all things in life, you take the good with the bad and you have to tolerate the ugly. So here are some of the wonders in life that I've had to deal with while at camp:

Showing the kids constallations:
Good - I love teaching people things that I know well. The moment that it clicks for them and they can see a particular constallation, it is such a rewarding feeling.
Bad - Me: "And thats Cassiopia, its the queen" Smart Ass kid: "Actually, it looks like a 'W'"
Me: "And thats Cygnus, the swan" Smart Ass kid: "Actually, it looks like a 'T' "
Ok kid, I'm sorry that you have no imagination....geez!
Ugly - We're laying on the grass and one of the kids has a bug crawl on her...all hell breaks loose cause once one girl starts screaming and running, then like lemmings they all start running...too funny.

Singing Camp Fire Songs
Good - Once again, its really cool to hear 240 kids all singing and dancing around.
Bad - Of course, there are a few that are 'too cool' to make an ass of themselves...hey, I'm the one running around making the biggest ass of myself, they least you could do is sing with the rest of them.
Ugly - I sing this one song called 'the moose song' (its a repeat after me and my actions song) and the chorus always seems to turn into full contact body slamming amongst the boys...well, as long as they don't hurt themselves.

Feeding those kids:
Good - Its really nice to see my whole family (my brothers, cousins, aunts, baba, parents) all working together as a nice family unit for two weeks...we rarely argue and work very well.
Bad - I'm tired of going "Hi there! Its ______. Would you like one or two? There you go!" I figure that I say that about 600 times a day.
Ugly - There is this one damn kid who is sooooo picky...and then he gets all in a huff because he doesn't like anything (and we serve like pizza, mac and cheese, hot dogs...all that crap that kids love) I think he has eaten a bun for every meal...So yeah, I also don't tolerate picky eaters.

Running:
Good - My cottage is about 5km from camp, its a perfect 10 minute jog so I do it twice a day...
Bad - The trail I use is through the middle of a bush, really good in the morning, but at nite I tend to scare the shit out of the deer, which in turn scare the shit out of me...the deer then runs in one direction and I run in the other.
Ugly - Last nite there was an electrical storm going on but it looked pretty far away so I thought I could make it home in time...I of course, was wrong. Totally drenched!

Spending time with my dad:
Good - Well, I get to drive his Toyota T3 and listen to Springsteen while we go for a supply run.
Bad - Damn truck got a flat tire...my dad of course looses it and blames it on me cause I must have run over that pointy object on purpose.
Ugly - So, were sittin there in front of the wholesaler...my dad is looking at the tire with the CAA repair guy and I'm standing on the sidewalk. This dude approaches me:
Dude: "Hi, looks like you have a flat"
Me: "Thats very insightful of you"
Dude: "So, do you have a boyfriend"
Me: "No" (then I realize that I should have lied and said yes)
Dude: "Well, you're beautiful, do you want to go out sometime?"
Me: (pretty dumbfounded) "wha...uh...hmm...I'm a very busy gi..." (my dad yells for me..whew my dads yelling finally put to good use) "oh, gotta go! take care"
Like, who does that? Did he read in a book somewhere that girls in distress are more vulnerable and therefore you should pounce on them and ask them out? He doesn't even know me, I could be a real meanie.

Well, thats all I can think of for now so I'm outs!

Our theme at camp this year is 'tropical paradise' so its my duty (owning a bar and all) to make sure those kids have the best damn virgin cocktails they've ever tasted for their Zabava! ('zabava' is Ukrainian for dance party...this particular one, the girls spend hours getting beautiful and the boys don't even notice cause they're too busy trying to fart on each other...Oh you crazy walking hormones!)

Ciao for now!