But my mom says I'm 'special'...

The typical..or maybe not-so-typical rantings and musings of just an ordinary girl

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Lavender!


Yay! My first batch of Lavender is dry and ready for my mad culinary skills! I have a lot of different plants of lavender, but I have to say that the best for drying from my personal experience is the Royal Purple Lavender plant. (as seen in the pic) The lavender buds keep a really nice color even when dry....just make sure you pick them when the time is right (as soon as the first bud begins to bloom).

I am going to probably make some lavender shortbread cookies with these bad boys next week. Another trick to cooking with lavender is that less IS more because if you put too much, its not gonna taste like summer, its gonna taste like soap.

In addition to lavender, my herb garden has basil, parsley, dill, chives, sage, rosemary, and savory in my dinner herbtastic section. (my sage is HUGE this year too...its grown flowers!). In my sweet herbtastic section I have a wide range of mints and balms as well as lemon verbana and sweet leaf which I pick fresh every morning when I make myself my morning cup of tea.

I'll put up photos when I can get some up and loaded :)