Friday!
Today, I was going to dedicate my post to my cousin who's birthday is today...but I've been told that I am not to mention my little cousins on my blog anymore. Apparently the fact that they are like sisters to me and are girls that I'm happy to know and excited to share my life with and wouldn't do anything to jepordize them isn't apparent enough.
Anyways, I don't really know the whole story or reasoning because I wasn't actually told in person that this was a problem...ugh, I hate that. In conclusion, happy b-day.
On with my day...today I'm going to explain a love of mine...my sport handball, or team handball.
No, its not with a tiny ball you hit against a wall...I wouldn't have posed with a ball that small. The balls are the size that me and the lovely Jaimie are modeling in yesterdays post.
Its been described as waterpolo - but on land. There are 7 players on the court at a time, 3 backs, 2 wings, 1 pivot and a goalie.
Wings - fast and agile, hang around closer the the base line and take shots at a ridiculous angle.
Backs - Strong and should be able to handle the ball well and see the court. Backs generally score by shooting over the defence or beating the defence with one-on-one moves.
Pivot - The 'shit disturber'. Stands on the opponents 6 meter crease and stirrs up the defence by setting picks or stopping the continuous defensive flow. Gotta be as tough as balls too because they get hit a lot on that defensive line.
Goalie - A player with a death wish...they have to be the craziest players in handball because they put there bodies through a lot of abuse. Our goalie just found out she's pregnant (congrats to her by the way) but now we don't have a goalie and we start in 2 weeks...the scramble begins.
Rules: There are lots, but I'm going to say the obvious ones
- 3 steps with the ball
- you can dribble the ball (not recommended, slows down the movement)
- no double dribble
- 5 seconds (I think) with the ball
- Anytime the offence is 'tied up' by the defense, a 'free throw' is taken at the 9 meter crease.
- Full contact, provided its 'clean'
- Any hitting from the side or back will result in a 2 minute penalty
- Any move that could cause serious injury is an automatic red card.
- Ball can hit any part of your body..but not below your knees.
How to win: Score! The team with the most points win. In league, womens scores are usually uppper teens. Mens scores in the upper 20s. Its a very fast paced, high scoring, hard hitting, exciting game.
Well, this weekend I'm getting my competition A certification in coaching...a weekend in a classroom...splendid! Saturday nite COYOTES! So, all my ridiculous friends! C'mon down and dance with me!
<< Home