But my mom says I'm 'special'...

The typical..or maybe not-so-typical rantings and musings of just an ordinary girl

Friday, August 05, 2005

Oh Wine Box!

My buddies Saara and Ian stopped by good ol' Manitoba while on their commute from Ontario to Calgary. They came in wednesday afternoon and I decided to take them out to my cottage which is just north of Gimli on Lake Winnipeg.

What to drink is always the question, me and Saara decided on a 3L box of Franzia Wine (which we lovingly called Francine) and Ian chose Becks beer. I believe a wine box is probably one step below drinking a bottle of wine out of a paper bag, but we didn't care, it was wine and we're winos.

We started off with what I like to call 'the best chinese food in Manitoba', Gordon Lees in Gimli...which is kinda weird because Gimli is known as a Icelandic community.

Saara is Icelandic and unfortunately we missed Icelandic days which was last weekend...so we decided to make our own Icelandic Days festival at my cottage. It involved buying Viking hats (at 4 bucks a pop) and getting shit faced.

Manitoba pulled out all the stops that nite, beautiful northern lights, coyotes howling, a crisp cool lake, firegods (saara added this one...uh huh...), clear starlit sky, not as many mosquitoes as usual and a play ground....ooooooh yeaaahhhh.

Here are some photos from this interesting evening...
Just a few days late for the festival...meh, no worries we'll have fun
Looking like hobbits or something here..
Obviously we had not had any of Francine's juices yet.
Francine :)
Drinks 1 - 2...nothing interesting to talk about, begin to slur a little
Saara came up with a new 'gesture' that I now use to describe a certain individual who shall remain nameless for now. :) Its a good gesture though...a goooood gesture.
I'm the one match fire queen and this use to be our stool...but then I burnt it cause we were getting short of wood and I was lazy/too drunk to get up the hill.
Drink 3: Ian threw a 'twig' on the fire and it ignited..this sparked a 30 minute physics conversation between me and Saara while we tried to find the right units for Luminosity. (which is cd/m^2...we now found out...we were thinking m/s^2 but then realized that was acceleration...oh wine box!!?!? You fooled two girls with physics minors!!)
Beautiful northern lights
Drinks 4 - 5: We got the brilliant idea to take a walk to the playground while drinking, so we head off.
Viking Shadow Porn
Drinks 6 - 9: We're naked, we're swinging on swings and sliding down slides and falling on grass and getting grass stains and running around and falling on rocks and...
Our what seemed to be hours of endless play fighting.
Drinks 10 - ???: Conversation has changed to penises...thats all I'm going to say. Then we started play fighting and play fighting and then we passed out. The end.
The Breakfast of Champions - Some kinda crappy pancakes that I made while most likely still drunk at noon. Ian ate 5 of them...hahahahah! Silly Ian he's finally better now.
This photo was taken by the Viking Statue in Gimli the next day....we had a very 'special' photographer who seems to think that the statue looks better with no head. I didn't have the heart to tell him he missed the head...it took too much of his mental energy to work my camera as it was. NOTE: The three people in the background are his sons (who are 40 and obviously still live at home and his wife) They were nice people, we even let the sons take a picture with our viking hats on...Yay for Gimli and your wonders and the wine box!

Off to Grand Beach for Sandball...stay tuned for more wonders of me that are wonderful.