But my mom says I'm 'special'...

The typical..or maybe not-so-typical rantings and musings of just an ordinary girl

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

This class is going to be the death of me

Well, I just don't know how much longer I can go in my Human Resources class before I A: get up and walk out B: shout profanities C: kick something (or someone) I've never been in a class that was trying to sell me such Grade A bullshit as this class. For example:

1. Job Description - Looking for an employee who is aggressive and has 15 years of upper management experience. Women and minorities are more than welcome to apply.

What is wrong with this description?
Me: I say nothing...if you have those qualifications great!
Crazy Femanists: Well, its definetely discriminatory against women because being aggressive is considered to be a male characteristic more than a female. And a lot of women do not have 15 years of experience because of the 'glass ceiling' that prevented us from moving up in a company.
Me: [biting my tongue here]
Another crazy femanist: yeah, my gf just graduated from civil engineering and she can't get a job cause she's a woman!
Me: [if I bite my tongue anymore, it'll fall off] so naturally, I speak up
Me: 'I find the statment 'Women and minorities are more than welcome to apply' more discriminatory against men than the word aggressive and 15 years work experience would be against women.' I'm aggressive and a woman and I know a lot of ladies that have 15+ years of upper management experience. I believe getting a job has everything to do with individual performances these days and little to do with race or sex...would you all please step out of the 50s'

Well, that didn't go over too well...and arguing about this for the rest of class was fun and all, but ya learn jack squat from it. This whole class has been a complete waste of thought and a waste of 300 bucks.

2. You sometimes need to hire someone who goes against the way the coorporation thinks to prevent 'group think'. Someone who disagrees with the way things are normally done is key in good teams, helps the team get things done and grow.

So, you mean to tell me that hiring an aethiest to work in a catholic chapelancy would be more beneficial than chaotic? I understand that some times you need someone to step back and look at an idea from a 'different standpoint' but that should not mean you hire an individual just because they are different than the usual status quo...I would think that would be reverse discrimination. If you need a different stand point...you ask Jimmy who works in the other department what he thinks or you tell Jane that she has to think of something 'wrong' or 'bad' with this concept you are working on...I know my aethiest example was probably a little extreme, but this is just so stupid...

This stuff is just not black and white enough for me....oops...was that discrimination?

being a hater