But my mom says I'm 'special'...

The typical..or maybe not-so-typical rantings and musings of just an ordinary girl

Sunday, March 13, 2005

I am the Database Queen!

Ok, so I've been going to the Vancouver Trade Show for the last three years and this year I decided not to go. School played a small factor, but it was mainly because I have as many west coast customers as I want for the time being.

But the other problem with me not going is that some of my retailers out there attend the show to place their spring/summer order with me and to see what I have that is new and what not. So, I was adamant this weekend about getting the login working for my website so that I could send them all invites to look at my new online catalog.

Well, at first I thought this was going to be an easy task...but I was wrong because the web provider I am with will not let me load a DSN onto their server (for obvious reasons). This would have been the easy road to take because Dreamweaver would have done all the work for me...but noooo, I had to look into the option of creating a DSN-less connection using connection strings all while hard coding it myself using ASP VB, which I just learned...about two hours ago.

So, it took me two days...although Friday night doesn't count cause I came home in not the brightest of mindsets after a few hours of handball and beers. (and I was inclined for some reason to basically stare at my screen modifying the same lines of code till about 4am)

There were definite low moments when I thought worker monkeys would probably figure out how to connect to a remote DB before I could...but then the moment came, the moment when it finally did what I wanted it to do. Now for me, when I'm coding my ass off and then something finally works, the feeling is uh...well, this is a PG blog so I'm not going to describe it...but if I smoked, I would have lit up one for sure! Ah man, its the greatest feeling and that’s probably why I'm content with sitting in front of my computer on a Saturday nite...man, I'm a geek...

So now, I get to do the fun part of website work and make the catalog look pretty :)

I'll start tomorrow...right now, I need to calm down so I can get some rest for handball...
:)