But my mom says I'm 'special'...

The typical..or maybe not-so-typical rantings and musings of just an ordinary girl

Monday, February 14, 2005

Heathers Valentines Day Special

Well, its Valentines day and I thought I'd take the time to write what Valentines day means to me.

With each passing year, holidays are becoming more and more about commercialism / how much money to spend and less about the actual meaning of the holiday.

Valentines day is the biggest and the dumbest money-grabbing day of the year. Its the one day where people are 'required' to be romantic and caring or else all hell will break loose in their relationship. Women chatter to each other about who's husband/boyfriend outdid who and guys get suckered into spending stupid amounts of money on jewelry and stuffed animals. On the other end of the spectrum, you've got single, lonely and bitter individuals who sometimes go to the extreme of coordinating group suicides to commemorate this special holiday.

The fact I'm single does not have any hindrance to my feelings for this day. I've celebrated Valentines day with a boyfriend in the past and found it as stupid then as I do now. My reasoning behind this is that:

1. If you are with someone you care for...you should be doing nice things for each other more than once a year. A kind gesture 'just because' beats out a kind gesture 'due to circumstance' any day.

2. A hokey token of love like some gorilla holding a 'I love you' heart tells me you've successfully wasted your money...and now I have to keep this tacky gorilla or else you'll feel that I am unappreciative.

3. Its just plain stressful cause you've got the pressure of making sure you've got the right gift/right plans and that everything goes perfectly...I like feeling comfortable, not stressed.

So my ideal V-day would be something that I would normally do anyways, quiet and at home...a nice home cooked meal we'd work on together, some conversation and laughs and just to kick back and just enjoy each others company.