But my mom says I'm 'special'...

The typical..or maybe not-so-typical rantings and musings of just an ordinary girl

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Heather's Valentines Day Extravaganza!

NOTE: THE FOLLOWING IS ONE GIRLS OPINION AND I CAN'T SAY I SPEAK FOR ALL WOMEN...MAYBE JUST THE WOMEN THAT ARE SPECIAL LIKE ME :)

I'm sure this is the moment you have all been waiting for...yes my friends, its the one post a year where I blog about my opinion on dating, relationships and the wonderful day we call Valentines day.


Oh, where to start? I guess I'll start by giving my opinion on Valentines day. Men, if you think that being extra nice this one day will make up for all the other days that you're a dumbass you are sadly mistaken my friend. Getting flowers on some random day 'just cause' would impress me waaaay more than getting something on Valentines day because it is...well, Valentines day.


But this is where it gets tricky...Even though getting a gift on a random day means more than Valentines day, it doesn't excuse you from giving yourself on Valentines day. This is because on Feb 15 our girlfriends are will be asking 'so, what did he do for Valentines day?' and the response of 'nothing' makes you look like goober.


What to do? Well, you don't have to go all out or spend a lot of money even. Valentines day is when you just do a cute little thing that is irresistably you. Bake a cake - even if its burnt and looks like something the cat dragged in its such a cute notion. Blog a tribute to your sweetheart. Light candles and give her a massage. Rent her favorite movie and make popcorn. All are super cheap and not much effort but the pay off will be priceless.


Things you don't buy:



The only person to ever have bought me a Valentines day gift is my dad. Now normally he is really good at this - he just gets me flowers. Flowers are the perfect gift gentlemen, they're pretty and we're all touched and in adoration of them and then when they die we can chuck them out and not worry about having to hold onto it for eternity.



This year though, my dad thought it would be nice to buy me two dogs that sing 'I've got you babe' a la Sonny and Cher. He even made the male dog a bit of a 'bad ass' dog by taping a cigarette in its mouth...(most likely an idea he got from one of the regulars last nite) Its cute, until tomorrow when the novelty wears off, my cats are no longer amused and I'm stuck with two dogs that sing 'I've got you babe'.

Men, don't do this...maybe some women dig this kinda stuff but I don't have room for such gifts.
Wanna hear whats worse folks? My mom got the exact same dogs. Yep, we have two of these things kicking around now....oh dad, you are the most unromantic man ever...but at least you try.

My dad is so unromantic that when he gives my mom a card, he leaves it blank inside because: "Well, it says To My Wife on the front...how many wives do you think I have?"

What am I doing on this day?

Well, I'm showing my love to the ones I care the most for - my family. I decided to make a nice roasted chicken dinner tonite with all the fixings and a nice diabetic dessert (my dad is diabetic). I have a tendancy to show I care with food because its something I'm good at and I was raised that cooking and cooking well always makes people happy.

Then me and my mom are going to go buy ourselves Valentines day gifts...I want flowers and my mom wants a ring. :) Cause if you don't love yourself...who will?

Then me and my girl Cindy - who has been single for a full 4 months now (Ever since we were little, she didn't go for longer than a week without a boyfriend) are going to have some Valentine drinks....I'm proud of her for being single for so long - I think its really important to establish a sense of self before going off and dating someone...and she's well on her way.

Why am I single?

Its really, really simple. I choose to be. I find it easier being single than having to worry about having to trust someone and I am too busy to ever have time to make anything work. Just lots of needless drama and I don't have time for that in my life. I'm selfish I suppose.

So, everyone have a great Valentines day and make sure you do something nice for someone you care for today! Whether its your mom, your special someone or your cat! :)